Thursday, September 20, 2012

{DIY: Fabric iPhone Case}

Hi friends! I'm sharing a fun little tutorial with you today! 

 I'm sort of obsessed with cute iPhone cases, but they are REALLY expensive so I'm showing you an awesome and inexpensive way to dress up your phone! Here we go!
 Supplies you need:
  • A clear case. I found mine at Nordstrom Rack and it was $8. It's plastic, not silicon or rubberized so you shouldn't have a problem with a case like this yellowing. If you don't have a Rack near you, try Marshall's, Ross, or TJ Maxx and I bet you'll find on on the cheap!
  • Fabric scraps
  • card stock
  • pencil
  • glue stick
  • tiny scissors/exacto blade
  • fray check is optional
 First you are going to trace your case onto card stock. Trace as many times as you want. I made 3. I like variety :) Trace the little hole for the camera too.
 Next, cut the shapes out. You'll cut out the tiny camera hole too. That part is a beast, sorry! I found it easiest to cut out the case shape then score the center of the little hole with the blade for my scissors to poke through, then carefully cut it out.

Once you have the inserts cut out, you will want to put it into the case to make sure it fits and to make sure the hole is in exactly the right place. You may have to fiddle with it and give it a little trim until it fits in the case properly.
 Now you will apply your glue to the card stock. Make sure you apply the glue to the correct side and that the little hole you very diligently cut out is now in the top left corner.
 Place your insert glue side down to the WRONG SIDE of your pretty fabric. I let the glue dry for a few minutes the cut around the edge. Then I cute out the little hole. Again, that part is a beast, but you'll get through it.
 This next part is optional, but for a neat finish, apply fray check to the edges making sure to get the edges of the camera hole as well. After it dries, snip away any loose threads.
 That's it! So pretty right!?! I think this one is my favorite!

Ta da! 4 brand new iPhone cases for $8 plus a few things you probalby already have lying around. I just saved you like $100 AT LEAST!

Happy crafting!

Elizabeth
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Super cute Elizabeth!! I love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, so creative!I'd love for you to link up your recipe to Do Something Crafty Friday: http://seevanessacraft.com/2012/09/do-something-crafty-58/

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea; love the fabrics! :) unfortunately, I can't use a cute case like that anymore...I finally had to get an Otterbox because I drop my phone ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth! I followed you at HelloCotton and then visited your blog. I love your theme color palette, reminds me of ice cream. LOL! I always wanted to start my own business and I always wondered how iPhone cases are made. I'm still looking for a base plastic iPhone case, I have tons of design ideas. Thanks for blogging about DIY: Fabric iPhone Case. Come visit my weblog and let me know what you think. xoxo

    www.audreyisms.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came over from Sew Well Maide where Karen has featured your iphone case. This is a great idea and so achievable without spending lots of money. Thanks for sharing; I will be giving this a go. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make my day! Is your email linked to your profile so I can reply to you? Hope so!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...